Monday, December 1, 2008

my email to hertz about black and white customer service

To: Hertz:

Hi Karlie,

Could you do me a favour and confirm what the Hertz licence policy is, related to lost licences?

For example i misplaced my licence last week and requested a replacement online with Vic Roads and get a replacement receipt number.

I took this number and my hertz gold card, plus a photo ID and Medicare card to Hertz city depot to pick up a rental. The manager there s(Tony) said they have a black and white policy that if you don’t have a licence on you they won’t give you the car.

I pointed out that my licence details are on my Hertz #1 Gold profile, plus my credit card details and i have enough ID to prove who i am plus i have a receipt number from VIC Roads for a replacement licence.

He still refused pointing to the black and white policy. Anyway i decided to call Vic Roads and they confirmed who i was and said I would need to fax Vic Road on a Hertz letter head and then they would reply to Hertz on my behalf.

As it turn out the fax got to Vic Roads just as their call centre closed and i was waiting for Vic Roads to call me back. I told the Hertz manager the latest development and he still would not give me a car.

So in the meantime while waiting for Vic Roads to get back to me, i went across the road to Avis, showed them a photo ID and my Medicare card, preferred membership number and they gave me a car straight away without any drama.!

So i parked the Avis car out from of the Hertz office and went in to inform them that Avis gave me a car without any drama. No black and white rules just good customer service.

Tony referred back to the Hertz black and white policy and i told Tony that i think when it comes to good customer service that black and white is not good enough, especially for a Gold member.

Therefore Karlie, if you could just confirm for me what the black and white policy is related to this issue, as i am not sure if it is so black and white or if there is room for discretion on behalf of the manager, especially given i had a receipt number for my licence replacement.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,Steve

2 comments:

Steve Sherlock said...

REPLY FROM HERTZ
Subject: Re: hertz - licence policy


Steve,

I just received an email from operations who confirmed the following Hertz Policy in relation to drivers licence:

"Our policy is that we require a valid drivers licence to be presented at the time of collection, it is enforced to protect our assets and ensure the customer has a valid current licence at time of hire. This is the policy and can only be waived by prior arrangement through a GM, Sales Manager or a Director/RVP"

Steve in future you would need to make arrangements in advance as the counter agents and location managers are not provided with this level of discretion. Please feel free to contact myself or Tony in the future if you do happen to misplace your licence's again or need assistance with any rentals.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Steve Sherlock said...

MY REPLY TO HERTZ - LAST WORD.

Subject: RE: hertz - licence policy

thanks Karlie.

Hopefully won’t happen again as i just received my replacement licence in the post today.

I can understand the manager not having enough responsibility to make the decision, though i still think the policy would be better if it allowed some discretion i.e. “if the clients has a hertz gold membership card, valid credit card and has photo ID that all match, then allow rental to take place.....”

Thanks for following up.

Regards,
Steve